Extract from the Minutes of the General Meeting held on 1st July 1897
"The title 'Flying Squadron' was adopted and copied from the Sydney Flying Squadron, which raced 18 footer open sailing, centreboard, live ballast boats, which were renown all over the world as the largest sail carrying craft. The sail spread gave the appearance as if the boats were flying through the water and the general public called them 'Flying Boats'. This title was therefore adopted to signify the type of boat to be sailed by the Club."
It was the sheer exhilaration of speed and sail power which inspired the formation of the Perth Flying Squadron. Aeroplanes and motor cars were just figments of the imagination when a group of sailing enthusiasts with a thirst for speed met at the Metropole Hotel on June 8, 1897.
They formed a new Yacht Club called Perth Flying Squadron, inspired by the Sydney Flying Squadron which raced 18-footers renowned for their huge spread of canvas and an astonishing turn of speed.
At the first general meeting, H. F. W. Lane was elected our first Commodore with H. J. Saunders as our patron.
The old Club House of the Perth Flying Squadron Yacht Club was at the foot of William Street in the Perth CBD. Here it served the Members well and with her demise a big piece of Perth's history disappeared. The need for a bridge to span between the City and the southern suburbs had long been proposed and the Club's fate was sealed in the early 1950's when the "Stephenson Plan" showed a freeway system with its centre piece, a bridge across the Narrows to Mill Point. The decision of this major infrastructure meant the Club had to move. The area eventually chosen was the site of the first farm in the Nedlands district taken up by Adam Armstrong. By 1962, the Dalkeith Club House where the Club now stands was well under way into taking shape.
From then onwards our Club has developed and flourished over the years to the magnificent development it is today. A Club that Committee, Staff & Members are all proud to be part of.